Bilateral cooperation with Palestine starts with the signing, on February 23, 2016, of the Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of the Environment and the Protection of the Territory and the Sea of the Italian Republic and the Authority for the Quality of the Environment (EQA) of Palestine.
The Agreement provides for collaboration in the field of environmental protection and sustainable development.
There are no financial resources. Financial resources will be allocated on the basis of the projects approved by the Joint Committee.
• According to the Work Plan, approved in Ramallah on May 26th , 2016, the cooperation between Italy and Palestine will focus on the following sectors:
• waste management;
• reduction of air pollution;
• ways of combating soil degradation;
• protection of biodiversity;
• management of parks.
The cooperation activities will be implemented by means of:
• supporting to EQA in order to improve, also by recurring to satellite images, the monitoring system of the state of environment and environmental and strategical impact evaluation;
• strengthening of the legal and institutional framework for the defence and protection of the environment;
• supporting the monitoring and environmental planning, also to ensure the respect of the commitments undertaken in the international context;
• support for the strengthening of the pollution prevention mechanisms, particularly through the analysis of air quality, the management of hazardous waste and the recovery of olive oil production waste;
• education and awareness campaigns on the protection of the environment addressed to the local population.
• activities for the improvement of the land use.
• Revision and updating of the National Biodiversity Strategy of Palestine and related Action Plan and preparing of the sixth national report. The aim of the project is to support Palestine in the revision and updating of the National Strategy for Biodiversity and related implementation plans.