The Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea and the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia signed, on November 15th, 2017, in Bonn, a Memorandum of Understanding for the promotion of policies for adaptation and fight against climate change.
The Ministry for the Environment will offer financial support to the projects and activities that will be identified in the Work Plan to be adopted in the coming months by the Joint Committee. The Italian Ministry for the Environment will co-finance the activities of the Protocol with a maximum amount of 2 million euros.
The medium-term Work Plan, approved in Tbilisi on 10 January 2019, identified the following objectives:
• promotion of renewable energy and energy efficiency;
• support for sustainable mobility;
• sustainable waste management;
• improvement of water management and treatment;
• recovery of degraded lands;
• improvement of the adaptive capacity of the tourism sector to climate change;
• improvement of early warning systems.