With the press conference of the Minister of Ecological Transition, Roberto Cingolani, and the President of Cop26, the British minister Alok Sharma, on 3 October 2021 the PreCop26 closed.
Representatives of 50 countries, dozens of ministers and special representatives worked in different sessions dedicated to crucial issues, from sustainable finance to data transparency, agreeing on the need to increase the decarbonisation commitments made under the Paris Agreement.
The meeting concluded with the adoption of a Chair's Summary, which draws attention to seven topics to be dealt with at COP26 in Glasgow:
• comply with the goal of keeping the temperature rise at a maximum of 1.5 degrees;
• greater commitment to adaptation policies;
• reduce as much as possible natural disasters related to climate change;
• implement the commitment to mobilize 100 billion dollars a year;
• implement Article 6 of the Paris Agreement on the international emissions market;
• ensure greater transparency on climate policies;
• establish a single time frame for the submission of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs).
Italy has proposed that Youth4Climate become a periodic event with the aim of constantly involving young people in decision-making processes.
The Italian Ministry for Ecological Transition has decided to calculate the greenhouse gas emissions of the Milan days and offset the impact with the planting of new trees.
Italian Minister of Ecological Transition, Roberto Cingolani, with the US President Special Envoy for Climate, John Kerry and with the President of COP26, Alok Sharma.
PreCop26 Chairs’ Summary
Further information (italian)
What is the PreCop